Friday 10 September 2010

What to do prior to moving overseas

Hello again!

I hope life is treating you well.

A few weeks ago I talked about one of my readers who had a problem with shipping from Cyprus – they appeared to have no trace of where their personal possessions had gone. Well, the good news is that everything finally arrived - but the bad news is that most of it was damaged. Needless to say my reader was very upset about this.

I’m told the damage was due to the packing. It’s really important that you get someone to pack who knows what they are doing – a true professional. A good sign is a shipping company who advertises that they deal regularly with antiques, works of art, valuable china, and chandeliers. While this isn’t a guarantee that nothing will get damaged, usually packers for these companies are pretty good and have been properly trained.

Also, remember to check the packers are employees, not casuals. You don’t want someone packing your goods who has very little experience, that’s a recipe for disaster.

I think I mentioned before that I shipped over some porcelain roses I made in an evening class. They were fine when they were unpacked. Mind you, the size of the box they were in was mind-blowing! I remember watching the gentleman who packed them. It was amazing. He told me he was used to packing very valuable antiques, so they would be safe in his hands. And they were.

Anyway, I promised some helpful hints and tips as to what you should be doing prior to your move.

What should I be doing three months before the move?

• Obtain quotes from several removal companies
• Confirm your moving date as far in advance as possible
• Make a list of the fixtures and fittings you are leaving behind
• Make a list of all the main items you are taking with you
• Organise your vaccinations for the country you are moving to
• Make sure your passport and any visas you need are in order
• Look at the tax implications of moving to your new destination
• Make sure your driving licence is valid for your new destination
• If taking your car, check your insurance/road tax will be valid
• Arrange for export of your pets

Next week, I’ll continue with the countdown to moving with more hints and tips. Forward planning really does work!

Enjoy your weekend.
Best wishes
Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment