Friday 24 September 2010

Preparing for the Big Move

Hello, how are you?

Well, I’m really excited! I’m back in London with my colleagues for a couple of weeks. It’s been ages since I’ve seen them.

What’s even more exciting is that I’m going to be at “Channel 4 Place in the Sun LIVE” in Birmingham at the NEC, 1st-3rd October. I’m on a panel in the seminar theatre at 11am each day answering questions about Cyprus. You can get free tickets, just call The Overseas Guides Company on 0207 898 0549 or go to http://www.blogger.com/www.aplaceinthesun.com. If you are around, come and say hello - I’d love to meet you!

Let’s get back to shipping and preparing for the big move. Remember to check forums for reliable shippers – forums are great sources of information and should help you to make the right decision.

I cannot stress enough that there are plenty of rogues out there – just take a look at my previous blogs to see where it can all go horribly wrong!

Right. Here are some more hints and tips to help you along the way:

What should I be doing 2 weeks before the move?

  • Dismantle furniture that is not designed to be moved when assembled
  • Organise gas, electricity and water meter readings on the morning of the move
  • Arrange to have your telephone disconnected
  • Ensure bills are forwarded to your new address
  • Return any items that are rented, for example your TV and video
  • Run down the fridge and freezer

    What should I be doing during the last week?
  • Gather all your important documents, for example, birth and marriage certificates. Keep them safe in a wallet. Photocopy them all several times and carry them with you
  • Check with the removal company that everything is going according to plan
  • Organise some foreign currency for immediate use on arrival
  • Empty any safety deposit boxes
  • Pack suitcases with everything you need for your journey including things you will need to use prior to your goods arriving
  • Keep all your valuables with you
  • Don’t forget emergency supplies, such as medicines – make sure you have enough with you until you register with your new doctor
  • Defrost fridges and freezers
  • Disconnect kitchen appliances

I hope you find these useful. Next week, I’m going to talk about what happens on the big day – and I’ll be sharing my own experiences with you.

That’s it from me for now; hope to see you in Birmingham!

Have fun

Jackie
http://www.cyprusbuyingguide.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment